Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Creating an Annual Portfolio (or Keepsake Notebook :) in 3 Easy Steps!

Whether or not you are required to maintain an annual portfolio, it is a neat way to maintain records for yourself and it makes for a wonderful resource for reminiscing about the school days gone by! How many times do we wonder if we're doing enough? If our children are making adequate progress? A portfolio helps alleviate those fluctuating concerns and self-doubts because you have the evidence in front of you. Children love to look through them as well!

If the term "portfolio" doesn't strike your fancy or sounds too official, then "keepsake notebook" is an alternative name that you may consider using instead :)

The most important tip for maintaining a successful portfolio/keepsake is to start at the beginning! By that I mean get the binder ready first. (I prefer binder as opposed to plastic tub, because it's makes for a nice book to flip through). Once the binder is ready and in place, it's much easier to add your child's work and to keep it organized along the way. Trying to tackle this project at year end with a stack of papers glaring at you is daunting and overwhelming. This first step will have you prepared to build it as you go! So let's look at the process step-by-step. . .

Step 1
Get the binder ready. I find that a one inch binder is sufficient, but you have to remember that you don't need to keep EVERY item! A good sampling of each subject showing progress along the way is sufficient.

I like to get the binders with the clear plastic insertable covers so that I can personalize them. I get scrapbook materials and create a jazzy cover and spine.

Step 2
The next step is to create tabbed dividers for each subject. Decide what subjects or categories you want to divide your notebook into and then prepare your tabs.

Some examples or suggestions tabs might be. . .

Bible
Math
History
Science
Language/Language Arts
Handwriting
Spelling
Reading Log
Art/Music
Field Trips
Miscellaneous
Student Records (this can include an assortment - attendance, progress reports, report cards, certificates, standardized testing results, a list of resources/curriculum used, notice of intent, accomodations if your student has learning disabilities, etc.. You may also choose to place this section in the beginning of the notebook, instead of behind a tab)

*If your state has required subjects that you must teach, you may wish to print that page from your state's Dept. of Education and include that in your notebook.

Step 3
Add to it as you go! Now that your notebook is ready to fill, all you have to do is select the work you wish to showcase and place it behind the appropriate tab. Now, again, I realize some of us might be inclined to keep every sheet our precious children do, but it is truly not necessary. Keep a handful of things from each subject that will help showcase the child's progress.

A few additional tips. . .

Tip #1 - a bit of scrapbooking in the end of the notebook is a nice way to display photos, ticket stubs, and other memorabilia that remains from field trips, science and history fairs, co-ops, etc.

Tip #2 - clear page protectors are a good way to protect those extra special pieces of work. You can also you these for writing assignments - I put the final draft on top, then hide the rough, edited drafts behind it.

Tip #3 - include a picture of your child taken at the beginning of the year. You can place it on the front binder cover, or create an "All About Me" page to place in the very beginning of the notebook. (print this on cardstock and leave a space for the picture!)

When I first decided this was the method I wanted to use, I had a couple years that I combined together. There is no right or wrong way to do this. Figure out what will work for your family and get creative!

Okay, that's my scoop and below are a few pics! If you have more to add or share, please leave a comment below!

Cute scrapbooking packets are available in many places - Walmart, Target, Big Lots, Dollar Trees, Archiver's, etc. Your creativity is the limit.



I don't know if you can tell from the pic's, but these have the 3-d scrapbooking stickers to give it a bit of depth. We intentionally left an open space on the green cover to add a picture, when I finally get around to developing them!




Spines makes them easy to locate on the shelf!

8 comments:

Trisha said...

Hi Tina,
I found your blog through AmbleRamble. I'm such a binder lover, too! Thanks for another great way to use them. Yours are simply lovely! The 3-D stickers are such a great idea. I used those on my lesson plans binder, and they made such a difference. My 4 year old was just begging me for her own binder, and now you've encouraged me to make it especially pretty.

Julia Clubb said...

What a great idea to personalized each album. I do use a binder and I purchase an extra large one and put alot, not all, of my kids stuff in it to store, just in case. We do not have to provide that by our state yet. I do scrapbook and have a set for each one of my 4 kids. I think that stating this year I will convert their stuff from this year on to a binder for each on and have it personalized for each. thanks for the idea. I hadn't thought about taking ther school work to that level.

*~ Tina ~* said...

Hmmm. . .I hadn't gotten around to jazzing up my lesson plan binder, but after reading this, I stopped by Archiver's and picked up a couple things to do so this weekend! You're 4yo will just love having her own little binder! Have fun!

*~ Tina ~* said...

Hey Julia,
I have scrapbooks for each child too, and "one of these days" I'm might actually get them halfway done! My plan is for it to be a gift to each of them when they grow up. Reflecting on those childhood memories is so heartwarming and fun when you get older! The school notebook is nice to have for the writing pieces, book lists, field trips, art work and such!

KristenS said...

At the beginning of each school year, the kids get to decorate their chosen binders. We keep all our FIAR and other various papers in it (except the workbook stuff like math). They enjoy this a lot. I need to remember to tuck their school photos in there too!

Over the years I figure I'll weed the notebooks down to smaller collections, but right now we save most everything (they're still pretty young). It's fun to look back at those preschool and younger notebooks, full of exuberant scribbles!

Our only downfall is that they get stored in the attic because there's no shelf space for them ... but in the early years, especially, they acted as kind of giant lapbooks. My son used to tote his everywhere, because it had fun pull-out stuff, like a bear puppet for We're Going on a Bear Hunt.

I wonder how we could work it down to something pretty and small like yours. (Ours are enormous binders right now.)

Anne of Little Princess Pea said...

Awesome! I shared your post with fellow SAHM on our FB page:

http://www.facebook.com/SAHMofEtsy

I love keepsake portfolios and scrapbooks. It is so fun to look back at accomplishments and creations!

A Stable Beginning said...

Hi! I found you through TWTM forum and now I am following your blog. What a wealth of info you have on here, cant wait to read your back posts. I especially enjoyed this binder info.

*~ Tina ~* said...

Glad you all are enjoying the blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails