Monday, July 17, 2006

Where Do You Hide Your Wings?

I just experienced probably the most frightening day of my life. As I was getting reading to go to a local homeschool conference Friday, my 10 yo dd had what we have since learned was a clonic-tonic seizure. She then went limp and was incoherent. We were frightened beyond words and the ambulance seemed to take forever.

Once we arrived at the children's hospital, they did lab work, an EEG, and an MRI. The EEG showed activity (brain sparks) that indicated she may be at increased risk for more, so she was started on medication. We pray this will prevent future episodes and all will be well for our baby.

I know I have to be strong, that's my job right? It's just that this dc has had so much difficulting with eveything over the years - motor skills, coordination, reading, learning, I mean you name it. The basic little things that we do without a second thought have all been a battle for her. She has to work so hard and it's so frustrating to watch your child struggle. My heart just aches for her. I often wish I could fix it all with one of the "mommy" kisses. The thing that amazes me though, is that despite these struggles - she has such a joyful, forgiving and resiliant sprit. A real heart of gold, that so many do not give her the opportunity to show. Her smile brightens my day and inspires my soul. I have long teased her by frequently asking "Where do you hide your wings?"

I know she is an angel, my angel. How very lucky am I :-)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails