Sunday, January 10, 2010

Book Chatter

This week I started and finished two books on my 2010 reading list!

1. Of Mice and Men
This was a warm, slightly disturbing story of friendship, loneliness, compassion, and loyalty, that was captivating from beginning to end.

After reading the book, I decided to rent the movie version to compare notes. The version I watched was produced in 1992 and featured Gary Sinise and John Malkovich as the lead characters. I was pleasantly surprised at their endearing portrayals of George and Lennie and felt the movie did a good job bringing the story to the screen.

With that said, I'd definitely recommend the book first!

2. To Kill A Mockingbird

Loved this one! A revealing, sincere look at prejudice, social class, honor, friendship and family. Told from the perspective of a young, spunky, mature beyond-her-age young girl named Scout, I found it hard to stop reading once I had begun.

On to the next book!

5 comments:

Debra said...

Oooh, those are both great books. And great books I haven't read in AGES. Hmmm. They may need to make my list for this year.

*~ Tina ~* said...

Thanks Debra! I agree :) A friend and I were discussing how we were never assigned any quality literature in school, so I thought I'd set out to capture some of the wonderful classics I missed out on and now have the motivation and curiousity to read, lol!

Anonymous said...

To Kill a Mockingbird is my all-time favorite book...the only book I've ever read 2x! I think I'm gonna have to add it to my list to read this year. Have you watched the movie??? You really need to watch it. If I remember correctly, it keeps closely to the book.

Greta:)

Silvia said...

I like your list, I'm going to get the tip on this one. From your list I've read Crime and Punishment (dense and as all Dostoevsky on the drama side, but worth reading yes), I've read the catcher of the rye (strange, not my favorite), Jane Eyre (great, I love it), Animal Farm a great one too, never old. I'll see when you read them to exchange opinions if you want.
Good luck with your list.

*~ Tina ~* said...

Thanks Silvia! I'm actually drudging through Crime and Punishment now. Dense is a good description :) I'll post an update (or "victory note", lol!)when I've finished it.

Blessings,
Tina

Related Posts with Thumbnails