Monday, January 25, 2010

"Sew" Excited!

I got a new sewing machine for my - cough, cough __th birthday and I'm "sew" excited! I don't have any real talent when it comes to sewing, but I can measure, iron a crease, and sew a straight stitch, and with those few basic skills I enjoy making my own curtains and a few other things around the house. Perhaps what I lack in talent, I make up for in the creativity department!? That's what I like to think anyway :)

These are the valances I made for my dd's room. We found a color and fabric we liked at Walmart, unfortunately it was in the form of tab-top curtains. So. . .if you know the cost of fabric these days, you'll appreciate this creative stretch. We bought the tab-top curtains for the sole purpose of harvesting the fabric. We cut off the tab-tops, cut the trim, then used the fabric for the valances. I then bought the pink polka dot ribbon and made little bows to dress them up and pull some of the colors from their comforter. All in all, it was fairly easy and they turned out nicely!




Here's another creative idea. I have a beautiful floral comforter that I refuse to give up until I find something I love more or it completely falls apart, lol! Of course, when I purchased it on clearance they did not have any matching valances, so what I did was buy an extra king size bedskirt and used that small amount of matching fabric to make some ruffled rod toppers :)




I don't care much for the typical shower curtains available in stores, so I make my own for here as well. I bought this fabric during a vacation several years back - it's a good quality fabric that works well for the bathroom.



Lastly, these are my current kitchen curtains. Again, nothing fancy, I'm a straight stitch gal, but this comes in particularly handy for this room because we have french doors and windows of varying sizes, plus finding something that fits the french doors and isn't sheer is near impossible. Again, this is a little thicker fabric which we can pull back for light during the day and close for privacy at night.





I LOVE color and designs - can you tell?

I've made a couple other simple things - pillow covers, night gowns for the girls, etc., so even though my talent here is limited, it comes in handy enough.

4 comments:

Creekermom said...

WOW So what kind of machine did you decide on.. my birthday is next month and well.. I have been wanting one for 3-4 years now.. Where did you get it? Good price?

*~ Tina ~* said...

Hey Valerie!
It's a Singer Tradition 2250. It was on sale at Target for $69. They just had them on sale again last week, so I'd keep an eye on their ads. Target seems to have a sale "rotation" and things come back around :)

Anonymous said...

CUTE!!! I wish I had a talent!

Greta:)

*~ Tina ~* said...

Uh oh! You must have missed the part about "no real talent" in this area, lol! I can sew a straight line and not much more :)

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.

And c'mon gal, you do have a talent. . .a God given ability to encourage others! Priceless.

Related Posts with Thumbnails