Thursday, January 7, 2010

Sharing a S.I.P.

Scripture:
A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. Proverbs 15:1

Insight:
When I read this passage, my experience reminds me of its truth. There have been many times where I have responded to individuals and situations without fully thinking it through and weighing my words carefully in the light of God's Word. Forgetting to err on the side of grace and think beyond myself has allowed me to partake of more humble pie than I care to mention. Sharp, unkind words sting. They provoke and put others on the defensive, erecting walls in place of relationships.

Conversely, when our heart's desire is to honor Christ in all we say and do, the outflow of that desire is that it becomes easier to speak words that convey compassion and care for others. I once heard it said, "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt".

Life if full of opportunities to practice this scripture. Just this week there was a unpleasant situation between someone I know and their neighbor - which did not go well. I found myself praying over this situation and wondering how differently it might have been if one of the individuals involved had set out to keep the peace and to respond with kindness to the other's irritation. There IS wisdom in God's Word, and the more we meditate on it and spend time with the Lord, the easier it becomes to call upon it and apply those principles when our words and tone are tempted to detour.

Prayer:
Father God, I pray that I would remember to take time to pause before speaking, so that I may respond to irritating situations with a soft word that demonstrates love and promotes peace. Help me to hide Your Word in my heart, that all of its splendor may illuminate and guide my thoughts before they become spoken words that can't be retracted.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails